Have you been feeling worn out?
Have you been feeling ill?
Have you been blaming yourself for being lazy?
Have you lost your motivation to read the bible and pray?
Have you been questioning your walk with God?
You may very well be suffering Spiritual Warfare Burnout. King David did. In Psalm 3 we find David exhausted, physically and spiritually drained and running from his evil son Absalom who wanted to take over his kingdom. We read in V.4:
“I was crying to the Lord with my voice….” Here is where we see the spiritual warfare. We don’t know how long David cried out to God. He may have been interceding for days, weeks or months. However long we know that it was tiring, draining and often times discouraging.
“And He answered me from His holy mountain.” At some point God finally answered him – perhaps with just a word of peace, a sense of well-being or a Word that God was going to deliver David from the evil hand of his son. Though we don’t know what God said what we do know is that God did answer and David heard.
“I lay down and slept.” V. 5 David has been doing spiritual warfare for quite some time. God has finally answered. David is now drained. His adrenal glands have been exhausted. His cortisol level has been raised for a long time. What is the result of this? Exhaustion. David sleeps. He might have slept on and off for days. Now that he has a semblance of peace his mind is no longer worried, agitated and stressed. Sleep is healing. Naps are healing. David’s body needs all the rest he can get.
“I awoke for the Lord sustains me.” After a healing sleep David awakens refreshed in the knowledge that His God is the only one who can give him hope and confidence in the future. After a good, healing sleep comes renewed energy, vigor, hope, faith and trust. David is able to get back to the rest of his life.
What about you? Who has worn you out? Who or what has stressed you to the breaking point? Your cortisol levels are high, your adrenal glands exhausted, your muscles fatigued. Every part of your body is affected by stress. Ultimately if it continues it can kill you. What can you do? Let’s follow David’s pattern for healing.
1) Recognize that much of your exhaustion is due to Spiritual Warfare Burnout.
2) Understand that part of Satan’s plan is to discourage you through physical illness, exhaustion, poor sleep, weariness and hopelessness.
3) Limit how much you pray. Sometimes we end up in vain repetition thinking God will answer quicker due to our endless words. Commit only a certain amount of prayer to the Lord, say two – four hours and after that commit your time to praise. Also set a limit as to when to stop – for example – I never pray past 5 pm as that is my time with my family. It helps me to relax and find rest for my soul.
4) Limit how much you fast https://jackieosinski.wordpress.com/category/prayer-and-fasting/ During the winter months I discourage people from fasting food due to the duress on our bodies trying to stay warm. A media fast is best during winter months. Leave the food restrictions for warmer weather.
5) Do eat healthy. Limit the amount of sugar and fats you are eating. Poor diet leads to poor living which only drains you of the little energy you have left.
6) Find one or two intercessors who can stand with you and for you during your trials. A faithful prayer partner is priceless.
7) Take naps. We see David slept for healing. You need healing. Allow yourself the opportunity to rest and nap whenever possible.
8) Take a 30 day “No Prayer – just Praise” https://jackieosinski.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/what-a-relief-thank-you/ prayer vacation – it can refresh your mind and renew your spirit.
9) Try to get to bed by 10 pm each evening. Keep your sleep consistent. Make your quality of sleep a priority. Do whatever it takes to give yourself the best sleep possible https://jackieosinski.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/sleep/