Caffeine doesn’t give you energy, it produces temporary TENSION in your adrenal glands. The ultimate result of tension is always fatigue.
The adrenal glands are two glands that sit on top of your kidneys that are made up of two distinct parts.
One of the main functions of these glands is to produce hormones that are vital to life, such as cortisol which helps regulate metabolism and helps your body respond to stress and aldosterone which helps control blood pressure.
When the adrenal glands continue to be compromised long-term, they have a decreased ability to produce cortisol, and instead produce extra adrenaline, causing us to feel irritable, shaky, light-headed, and anxious. Adrenal fatigue is a syndrome that can, over time, cause pure exhaustion.
Caffeine causes the pituitary gland to think there is an emergency and to therefore produce more adrenaline from the adrenal glands. Therefore many people live in a chronic cycle of tension and exhaustion.
When you have caffeine how long does your energy last? Usually 1 to 3 hours, then it’s back to coffee again? Caffeine produces tension-energy, then you are exhausted because your body has been working off of fake-energy.
Those who have been able to get off (or at least mostly off of) caffeine have found that in time they feel re-born, with renewed energy, a clearer mind, less depression and a healthier body – see my post on 70 reasons to Quit Caffeine http://mountainstreamshealingcenter.com/2014/10/08/70-reasons-to-quit-caffeine-today/
I have been off of coffee for almost 5 years. I feel like I have regained my youth. I can run further. I am not as tired in the day. I feel 25 years younger. I sleep much longer and sounder. I am using my natural energy to keep me going – not fake energy.
What should you do?
- Determine in your mind that you will regain your health.
- Determine that coffee will no longer control you.
- Daily say out loud “Coffee has no control over me.”
- Begin to drink de-caf coffee, green tea, hot chocolate and herbal teas.
- Clean out your house of all the coffee. Trash it.
- Pray daily that God will give you the desire and strength to break this addiction.
- Give yourself time. It has taken me 3 years to completely get off coffee.
- Forgive yourself. If you mess up get back on track.
- Ask a friend or your spouse to join you on breaking the addiction. It will benefit them as well.
- Take it one day at a time. This is a hard addiction to break.
- See my post on How I got Set free From Caffeine Addiction http://mountainstreamshealingcenter.com/2012/05/17/how-i-got-set-free-from-caffeine-addiction/
- Ask a friend to daily pray for you during this difficult time of withdrawal.
- Know that your adrenal glands have been exhausted. You will feel tired at first but better later.
- Your adrenal glands may take years to heal. It took me 3 years. Be patient. It’s worth it.
- Love yourself enough to break this harmful addiction.
- Get your energy back. Get off coffee.
- I am praying for you.
- Start a coffee withdrawal support group. You will find friends who also want to get strong.
- Read Caffeine Blues by Stephen Cherniske, M.S.
- Take back your power, lose the caffeine.